Innerstave Oak Chips & Fines
- Oak Chips & Fines can be used during every stage of winemaking.
- Multi-stage additions are encouraged because making additions along the wine processing lifecycle will impact the end result in different ways.
- An addition of Innerstave Oak Chips & Fines during fermentation will minimize undesirable vegetal characters, provide co-pigmentation to bind colour and give body and mouthfeel.
- Innerstave Oak Chips & Fines added during post-primary aging offers tannin, body and barrel flavours based on the chosen toast level.
- Making an addition just prior to bottling will lift the wine’s flavour profile and refresh the finished oak character.
- Enquire about a mesh bag for oak chips.
- Standard chips are the size of broken matchsticks
- Fines are the size of pencil shaving
- Fermentation used for colour stability
Suggested ratio will range from 4-22 lbs per 1,000 gallons, dependent on stage and varietal
- Chips extract best between 2-12 weeks
- Fines extract best between 2-8 weeks
- Enquire about a mesh bag for oak chips